The Digging Press Chapbook Award is open for submissions once (or twice) a year for fiction, poetry, or hybrid (cross-genre) manuscripts. We seek innovative manuscripts that are inventively personal and richly imagined. We are inspired by the works of Clarice Lispector, Augusto Monterroso, Lynne Tillman, Óscar Esquivias, Giannina Braschi, Italo Calvino, Lydia Davis, Zakaria Tamer, Gloria Evangelina Anzaldúa, Sonia Sanchez, Ocean Vuong, Sam Sax, Claudia Rankine, Eileen Myles…
We are passionate about presenting a unique book design and offering editorial support. We aim to produce beautiful and artistic books. Selected manuscripts have a small print-run (100 copies), and authors receive 20 copies plus a $250 payment. Authors retain all rights to their material within the author’s chapbook.
Mandy-Suzanne Wong (April 2019) View results.
First Edition – sold out. Second Edition (May 2022).
Abigail Carl-Klassen (August 2020). View results. Temporarily sold out. 2nd printing (forthcoming Winter 2022).
Dimitri Reyes (July 2021). View results.
Marie Baléo (forthcoming Winter 2022). View results.
Morgan Christie (forthcoming 2023). View results.
Rachelle Parker (TBA). View results.
NEXT OPEN SUBMISSION PERIOD:
November 1, 2022 – February 28, 2023
The submission/reading fee is $15 per submission. Please note that fees offset the cost of publishing and promoting the winning chapbook. A small portion also helps cover our Submittable hosting fees. We also rely on donations and purchases to support our chapbook series. If you would like to make a tax-deductible donation, Donate Here.
The 2023 Digging Press Chapbook Award is open to any writer/poet writing in English.
Jericho Writers has excellent advice on “Manuscript Presentation”: https://jerichowriters.com/manuscript-presentation/. Do keep in mind that our chapbooks have a trim size of 4.25″ wide x 6.75″ high. Each book page fits approximately 225-230 words; each line fits approximately 45-48 characters across, including spaces, with 26-28 lines to a page. This chapbook format is non-negotiable.
We only accept manuscripts between 24 and 40 pages via Submittable. Please read the following carefully:
- Respect our blind submission policy. The manuscript must be free of any identity-revealing information, including in the name of your file or in the “title” field in Submittable. Submissions that do not respect this policy will be automatically declined.
- Page limit: 24 to 40 pages. Please use a readable font in 12-point. Times New Roman or its equivalent is recommended. Manuscripts should be paginated (and double-spaced for fiction), not including front and back matter (table of contents, title page, etc.).
- You are welcome to include a brief bio or something about yourself in your cover note on Submittable, which will only be made accessible to the editorial panel after the group of Semi-Finalist and Finalist manuscripts has been chosen.
- Include the following in your upload document: a description or synopsis of your work, title page, table of contents, if appropriate, an acknowledgments page. (If the manuscript contains individual stories or poems that have been previously published online or in print, note previously published work on the acknowledgments page with the publication credits.)
- The manuscript must be previously unpublished as a collection (including publication with a press, self-publication, online/digital publication, and publication in a small, limited-edition print run).
- Simultaneous submissions are permissible, but entrants are asked to notify Digging Press by withdrawing your manuscript in Submittable immediately if it is accepted for publication elsewhere. Do not email us a withdrawal.–
- Entries must be accompanied by a $15.00 entry fee. Entrants may submit multiple manuscripts, but must pay a $15.00 entry fee for each manuscript submitted.
- Collaborative collections are welcome.
- We cannot accept translations.
- US-based submitters have the option to purchase past chapbooks from Submittable with free shipping. Visit our online shop here for items not available on Submittable.
- While authors from around the globe may submit to the Digging Press Chapbook Competition, international submitters who wish to make an additional purchase must do so via our online shop and pay additional shipping charges. Visit our online shop here.
All selected submissions are read, reviewed, and considered by final judge, Gessy Alvarez, editor of the Digging Press Chapbook Series.
In the event that the final judge chooses no manuscript for publication, all contest fees will be returned.
Final notification of the contest winner, finalists, and semi-finalists will be provided by e-mail to all contest entrants by June 2023.
With permission from our contributors, we may include accepted works in promotional material for Digging Through The Fat and Digging Press, LLC.
If you have any questions or concerns, please add your comments in the section below and we’ll respond within 24 hours.
— Digging Press Team