Gessy Alvarez earned her MFA from Columbia University and is the recipient of scholarships from Columbia University, the Fine Arts Work Center, and the Aspen Writers’ Foundation, as well as, artist residencies at the Kimmel Harding Nelson Center for the Arts and the Millay Colony for the Arts, where she was a Mid Atlantic Arts Foundation Creative Fellow. See a listing of her publications at GessyAlvarez.com
Digging Press offers editorial feedback on short fiction (short stories and flash fiction) up to 5,000 words (10 pages, single-spaced; or 20 pages, double-spaced).
Our Editor-in-Chief, Gessy Alvarez will provide line editorial notes, as well as written feedback detailing the strengths of the writing and recommendations for revision.
We intend to provide feedback within six weeks from processing of submission. Submissions dates: Jan 1 – Jan 31; Mar 1 – Mar 31; May 1 – May 31; Aug 1 – Aug 31.
All work sent will also be considered for publication in Digging Through The Fat. Should we accept your story for publication, the feedback fee will be refunded.
- Open to all fiction – English-language writers only
- Original, unpublished work only
- Work that has received editorial feedback is not eligible for the Digging Press Chapbook Award
- No simultaneous submissions
- If you withdraw your piece before we have begun feedback, we will be happy to let you substitute another story of equal length or provide a refund
- We reserve the right to decline any work submitted (fees will be refunded to any submitters declined)
- Flash Fiction up to 1,000 Words (one flash piece or up to three micro-fiction pieces): $50
- Short Story up to 2,500 Words (one short story): $75
- Short Story up to 3,500 Words (one short story): $90
- Short Story up to 5,000 Words (one short story): $100
*All fees collected are donated to our Publication Fund and will help lower reading fees for our chapbook award submitters in 2021.